"The Whole Shabang"
Who is it for?
For young people with any connection with the North East of Coventry. Funded by the Big Lottery until 2014 its main aims are:
- To enable young people to have a voice in their community
- Raise their confidence, explore education and training options
- Become active members of their community through pariticipating in local events.
There are also plenty of social opportunities: evenings out to local venues, days out to theme parks and local and national events for young people. The project also has its own football team.
A Drop In every Wednesday (4 pm - 7 pm) gives young people the opportunity to come together to talk about issues that are important to them, to access information and advice, to plan future activities, and to cook and eat together at the end of the evening. We welcome young parents to this group - a creche is available at the Children's Centre.
Sometimes we don't know how we feel, or just know that we don't feel right - this may not be mental illness but you may feel better with a bit of support and if you are aged 16-25 then Unwind can help.
Unwind is the newest youth project from Valley House, it's for young people who worry about low self-esteem, motivation or depression. Funded by Comic Relief until August 2014 Unwind aims to:
- Increase awareness and provide education on what is mental ill health and the possible warning signs and symptoms.
- Give young people more opportunity to talk about their concerns and provide different ways of doing so.
- Provide group and one to one support.
- Have a peer mentoring scheme for young people so they can help each other.
- Create links with existing services that can give more specific advice.
So how does it work?
Through a combination of group and one-to-one contact either in the community or at home Unwind offers informal support and advice to young people who may feel isolated, confused and low.
It includes Drop-In's, gym sessions, and health workshops, 'Time Out', Work Drop-In's and a Cooking Programme with a new timetable every month which can be found in the Wots on Guide.
If you would benefit from any of the group sessions on offer or from one-to-one support and encouragement to joint in group activities or would just like some more information on the service please ring/text Linda Mann on 07904301725 or check us out on Facebook: Whole Shabang.
For more information on the Whole Shabang visit: http://wholeshabangcoventry.org/valley-house/
Wots on Guide May 2013.pdf